Thursday, October 30, 2014

Book Review: The Finisher by David Baldacci


497 Pages
Goodreads Rating: 3.69/5
Published : 2014

I first picked this book up because it's cover had super cute colours and that cool textured font thing going on. When I started reading it, I had no idea what it was about, other than that it is generally a YA fantasy novel, and I expected it to be mediocre at best.

I actually ended up loving this book, even though it took me forever to read due to lack of time. The characters are honest and relatable and funny without trying, which is what I probably enjoyed most about the book.

Vega Jane is 15 (I think?) and takes care of her younger brother John, as her parents are permanently ill and live at The Care. Vega and John are poor, living in a group home under the strenuous laws of the ambiguous town of Wormwood.

When worker Quentin Herms, who worked alongside Vega, disappears and the town cracks down on the case, Vega takes it upon herself to use the clues Quentin left her and figure out what kind of town Wormwood really is. Vega ends up finding a world of magic and terrifying creatures, far more than she bargained for,

Vega soon finds herself in trouble with Morrigone, the female member of Wormwood's council who essentially tries to ruin Vega's life. This time not even Delphi, Vega's adorably speech-impaired, lifelong friend can help her, and she must take her fate into her own hands.


I personally thought all of the necessary characters in this book were really well developed, and that the book did a great job describing anything that may seem different from our world. All the magic and mysteries were understandable and interesting to read about. This story was equal parts sadness, magic, and girl power to make for a great read.


My Rating: 

2 comments:

Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one so much :D I'm really hoping the sequel ventures out into or even beyond the forest :D

Unknown said...

Me too! Any idea when the sequel is being released?

Thanks for commenting!